Read our 2016 Report Card for Murray.
Our unique analysis of the bills Murray has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Murray is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Patty Murray sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on the Budget
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Murray was the primary sponsor of 25 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 991 (114th): Evidence-Based Policymaking Commission Act of 2015
- S. 1031 (114th): WIOA Technical Amendments Act
- S. 404 (113th): Green Mountain Lookout Heritage Protection Act
- S. 1719 (113th): Poison Center Network Act
- S. 1243 (113th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2014
- S. 3202 (112th): Dignified Burial and Other Veterans’ Benefits Improvement Act of 2012
- S. 3340 (112th): Mental Health ACCESS Act of 2012
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murray sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (35%) Labor and Employment (16%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Health (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Social Welfare (5%) Taxation (5%) Transportation and Public Works (4%)
Some of Murray’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1488: Harbor Maintenance Trust Fund Reform Act of 2017
- S.Res. 201: A resolution affirming the importance of title IX, applauding the increase in educational ...
- S. 1143: Freedom from Discrimination in Credit Act of 2017
- S. 1122: Accurate Workplace Injury and Illness Records Restoration Act
- S. 1045: Save Women’s Preventive Care Act
- S. 978: Recognizing Achievement in Classified School Employees Act
- S. 954: Tyler Clementi Higher Education Anti-Harassment Act of 2017
|Murray’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 89: A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels that only operate within inland waterways from the fire-retardant materials requirement if the ...
Apr 3, 2017. Bill Passed 85/12.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
May 22, 2015. Bill Passed 62/37.
This vote turned what was a bill regarding administrative appeals of IRS determinations into the Trade Act of 2015, which included Trade Promotion Authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as well as Trade Adjustment Assistance.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 17, 2011. Joint Resolution Passed 87/13.
H.J.Res. 44 (112th): Further Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 2, 2011. Joint Resolution Passed 91/9.
H.R. 514 (112th): FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
Feb 15, 2011. Bill Passed 86/12.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
From Feb 1993 to Jul 2017, Murray missed 158 of 8,050 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: