Findley was the representative for Illinois’s 20th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1961 to 1982.
Findley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Findley sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Findley was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 330 (97th): A joint resolution to name the lock and dam authorized to replace locks and dam 26, Mississippi River, Alton, Illinois, as “Melvin Price Lock and Dam”.
- H.R. 1986 (97th): A bill to amend section 201 of the Agricultural Act of 1949, as amended, to delete the requirement that the support price of milk be adjusted semiannually.
- H.R. 6593 (96th): Swine Health Protection Act
- H.R. 1607 (94th): An Act to amend title 18 and title 39 of the United States Code to make parallel the exemption from lottery prohibitions granted to newspapers and to ...
- H.R. 2303 (93rd): A bill to continue mandatory price support for tung nuts only through the 1976 crop.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Findley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (25%) Taxation (17%) Agriculture and Food (13%) Social Welfare (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Labor and Employment (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) International Affairs (8%)
Some of Findley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7229 (97th): A bill to prevent the use of automatic adjustment clauses by Federally ...
- H.R. 7210 (97th): A bill to amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 to terminate ...
- H.Con.Res. 409 (97th): A concurrent resolution regarding the massacre of Palestinians in Lebanon.
- H.J.Res. 597 (97th): A joint resolution to authorize a study of surveys to prevent flooding ...
- H.R. 7080 (97th): A bill to amend the Agricultural Trade Development and Assistance Act of ...
- H.R. 7079 (97th): A bill to amend the Agricultural Act of 1970, to prohibit restrictions ...
- H.R. 6942 (97th): A bill to provide for the review of the behavior of individual ...
From Jan 1961 to Dec 1982, Findley missed 727 of 8,414 roll call votes, which is 8.6%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills