Read our 2018 Report Card for Tonko.
Tonko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tonko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 24, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Paul Tonko sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
House Committee on Natural Resources
- Member, Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
Tonko was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6870 (115th): To rename the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act of 2012 in honor of Representative Louise McIntosh Slaughter.
- H.R. 4005: Medicaid Reentry Act
- H.R. 6414 (114th): Crowdsourcing and Citizen Science Act of 2016
- H.R. 4425 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2-116th Street in North Troy, New York, as the “Martin G. ‘Marty’ Mahar Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Tonko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (22%) Energy (19%) Science, Technology, Communications (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Environmental Protection (9%) Education (6%) Water Resources Development (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of Tonko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2659: To establish a research, development, and technology demonstration program to improve the efficiency ...
- H.R. 2482: Mainstreaming Addiction Treatment Act of 2019
- H.R. 2288: Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 2041: Weatherization Enhancement and Local Energy Efficiency Investment and Accountability Act
- H.Res. 263: Expressing support for the designation of April 9, 2019, as National Yellow Ribbon ...
- H.R. 1873: Improving HOPE for Alzheimer’s
- H.R. 1754: Horseracing Integrity Act of 2019
From Jan 2009 to May 2019, Tonko missed 46 of 7,226 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: