He was previously the representative for New York’s 21st congressional district as a Democrat from 2009 to 2012.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Tonko.
Tonko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tonko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 20, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Paul Tonko sits on the following committees:
Tonko was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 583: PIRATE Act
- H.R. 6870 (115th): To rename the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act of 2012 in honor of Representative Louise McIntosh Slaughter.
- H.R. 4005 (115th): Medicaid Reentry Act
- H.R. 6414 (114th): Crowdsourcing and Citizen Science Act of 2016
- H.R. 4425 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2-116th Street in North Troy, New York, as the “Martin G. ‘Marty’ Mahar Post Office”.
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Tonko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (28%) Energy (19%) Science, Technology, Communications (19%) Environmental Protection (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%) Water Resources Development (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of Tonko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8699: Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Commission Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 8390: To require the Director of the National Science Foundation to establish a grant ...
- H.R. 8348: New York-New Jersey Watershed Protection Act
- H.R. 8232: BATTERY Act of 2020
- H.R. 7567: Helping Experts Accelerate Rare Treatments Act of 2020
- H.R. 7323: Medicare Mental Health Inpatient Equity Act of 2019
- H.R. 6645: To direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Director ...
From Jan 2009 to Nov 2020, Tonko missed 52 of 7,923 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: