Our unique analysis of the bills Tsongas sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1984. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Tsongas is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Tsongas sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Private Legislation (20%) Immigration (17%) International Affairs (14%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (14%) Labor and Employment (11%) Education (10%) Energy (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%)
Some of Tsongas’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3071 (98th): Agency for Technological Innovation Act of 1984
- S. 2917 (98th): A bill to confer citizenship posthumously on Corporal Wladyslaw Staniszewski
- S. 2831 (98th): A bill for the relief of Fung-Ming Wong.
- S.Con.Res. 128 (98th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that the Union ...
- S. 2811 (98th): United States Skills Corporation Act
- S.J.Res. 326 (98th): A joint resolution to readmit Georgia Tavoularis Moser to status and privileges ...
- S.J.Res. 316 (98th): A joint resolution designating the week of September 30 through October 6, ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Feb 1979 to Oct 1984, Tsongas missed 278 of 2,682 roll call votes, which is 10.4%. This is worse than the median of 6.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1984. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills