Wellstone, a Democrat, was a senator from Minnesota from 1991 to 2002.
Wellstone is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2002 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Wellstone sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Wellstone was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 2900 (107th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6101 West Old Shakopee Road in Bloomington, Minnesota, as the “Thomas E. Burnett, ...
- S. 739 (107th): Heather French Henry Homeless Veterans Assistance Act
- S. 3060 (106th): A bill to amend the Hmong Veterans’ Naturalization Act of 2000 to extend the applicability of that Act to certain former spouses of deceased Hmong veterans.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Wellstone sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Law (13%) Health (12%) Labor and Employment (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (11%) Families (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%)
Some of Wellstone’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3143 (107th): Consumer and Shareholder Protection Association Act of 2002
- S. 3142 (107th): State Prescription Drug Discount Act of 2002
- S. 3009 (107th): Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2002
- S. 2904 (107th): Emergency Retiree Health Benefits Protection Act of 2002
- S. 2900 (107th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service ...
- S. 2875 (107th): A bill to amend the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 ...
- S. 2617 (107th): Motor Vehicle Owners’ Right to Repair Act of 2001
From Jan 1991 to Oct 2002, Wellstone missed 63 of 4,096 roll call votes, which is 1.5%. This is on par with the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: