Our unique analysis of the bills Hawkins sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1986. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hawkins is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hawkins was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 196 (99th): A joint resolution designating September 22, 1986, as “American Business Women’s Day”.
- S. 140 (99th): Children’s Justice and Assistance Act of 1986
- S.J.Res. 337 (99th): A joint resolution designating May 18-24, 1986, as “Just Say No to Drugs Week”.
- S.J.Res. 293 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the month of May 1986 as “National Child Safety Month”.
- S.J.Res. 315 (99th): A joint resolution designating May 1986 as “Older Americans Month”.
- S.J.Res. 289 (98th): A joint resolution to designate June 18, 1984, as “National Child Passenger Safety Awareness Day”.
- S.J.Res. 252 (98th): A joint resolution to designate May 25, 1984, as “Missing Children Day”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Hawkins sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (21%) International Affairs (16%) Social Welfare (14%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Health (9%) Families (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Economics and Public Finance (9%)
Some of Hawkins’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2881 (99th): A bill to terminate United States assistance to any country importing goods, ...
- S. 2822 (99th): A bill authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to preserve the Marshlands ...
- S. 2809 (99th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to expand drug and ...
- S. 2758 (99th): Nevada-Florida Land Exchange Authorization Act of 1986
- S. 2748 (99th): Customs Enforcement Act of 1986
- S. 2719 (99th): A bill to eliminate the statute of limitations for serious drug offenses ...
- S.Res. 456 (99th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding a new international ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1981 to Oct 1986, Hawkins missed 245 of 2,368 roll call votes, which is 10.3%. This is worse than the median of 6.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills