Pierluisi was the resident commissioner from Puerto Rico and was a Democrat. He served from 2009 to 2016.
Because Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate, called the resident commissioner, with limited voting privileges — Pierluisi can currently vote in committee and in certain votes on the House floor, but not if their vote would be decisive. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Pierluisi.
Pierluisi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pierluisi sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Pierluisi sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (32%) Taxation (21%) Social Welfare (13%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of Pierluisi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4163 (114th): Territories Medicare Prescription Drug Assistance Equity Act of 2015
- H.Res. 499 (114th): Amending the Rules of the House of Representatives to allow Delegates and ...
- H.R. 3725 (114th): Puerto Rico Financial Improvement and Bond Guarantee Act of 2015
- H.R. 3553 (114th): Earned Income Tax Credit Equity for Puerto Act of 2015
- H.R. 3552 (114th): Child Tax Credit Equity for Puerto Rico Act of 2015
- H.R. 2635 (114th): Improving the Treatment of the U.S. Territories Under Federal Health Programs Act ...
- H.R. 1822 (114th): Supplemental Security Income Equality Act
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: