Read our 2016 Report Card for DeFazio.
Our unique analysis of the bills DeFazio has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). DeFazio is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Peter DeFazio sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
DeFazio was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4916 (111th): To amend the Act of August 9, 1955, to authorize the Coquille Indian Tribe, the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians, the Confederated Tribes of the Coos, Lower ...
- H.R. 6370 (110th): Oregon Surplus Federal Land Act of 2008
- H.R. 3985 (110th): Over-the-Road Bus Transportation Accessibility Act of 2007
- H.R. 2863 (110th): To authorize the Coquille Indian Tribe of the State of Oregon to convey land and interests in land owned by the Tribe.
- H.R. 5436 (107th): To extend the deadline for commencement of construction of a hydroelectric project in the State of Oregon.
- H.R. 1444 (106th): Fisheries Restoration and Irrigation Mitigation Act of 2000
- H.R. 1725 (106th): Miwaleta Park Expansion Act
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
DeFazio sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (30%) Health (15%) Taxation (13%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Native Americans (9%) Immigration (7%) International Affairs (7%)
Some of DeFazio’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 132: Calling on the President to initiate renegotiation of the North American Free Trade ...
- H.R. 1114: To enhance Social Security benefits and ensure the long-term solvency of the Social ...
- H.Res. 138: Recognizing the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Professional Aviation Safety Specialists.
- H.R. 1113: To amend title II of the Social Security Act to ensure that the ...
- H.J.Res. 75: War Powers Resolution
- H.Res. 130: Supporting efforts to increase competition and accountability in the health insurance marketplace, and ...
- H.R. 617: Health Insurance Industry Fair Competition Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|DeFazio’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1987 to Feb 2017, DeFazio missed 756 of 18,828 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 27 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills