Hoekstra was the representative for Michigan’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2010.
Hoekstra is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hoekstra sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Hoekstra was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3321 (110th): To update the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 13 (108th): Museum and Library Services Act of 2003
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hoekstra sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Labor and Employment (13%) Taxation (13%) International Affairs (10%) Education (10%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Hoekstra’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1749 (111th): Requesting the President to transmit to the House of Representatives all documents ...
- H.R. 6440 (111th): To amend the Fair Housing Act to provide an exemption for any ...
- H.R. 6429 (111th): To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act ...
- H.R. 5691 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a credit ...
- H.Res. 1376 (111th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the primary safeguard ...
- H.R. 5176 (111th): Family and Independent Business Protection Act of 2010
- H.R. 4604 (111th): Asian Carp Action Plan Act of 2010
|Hoekstra’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2010, Hoekstra missed 691 of 11,825 roll call votes, which is 5.8%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: