Smith was the representative for Vermont’s at-large district and was a Republican. He served from 1989 to 1990.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Smith sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5218 (101st): To establish a National Demonstration Program for Educational Performance Agreements for School ...
- H.Res. 407 (101st): That the House of Representatives urges the President to instruct the Attorney ...
- H.R. 4063 (101st): Lake Champlain Special Designation Act of 1990
- H.R. 4004 (101st): Bovine Growth Hormone Moratorium Act of 1990
- H.R. 3347 (101st): To establish a National Demonstration Program for Educational Performance Agreements for School ...
- H.R. 3258 (101st): Critical Languages and Area Studies Program Assistance Act
- H.R. 3257 (101st): Stratospheric Ozone Layer Protection Act
From Jan 1989 to Oct 1990, Smith missed 67 of 904 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is worse than the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills