Read our 2016 Report Card for Visclosky.
Peter Visclosky sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and Related Agencies
Visclosky was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4887 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 23323 Shelby Road in Shelby, Indiana, as the “Richard Allen Cable Post Office”.
- H.R. 6045 (110th): Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Act of 2008
- H.R. 5472 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2650 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, Indianapolis, Indiana, as the “Julia M. Carson Post ...
- H.R. 1636 (110th): United States-Poland Parliamentary Youth Exchange Program Act of 2007
- H.R. 2358 (106th): To designate the United States Post Office located at 3813 Main Street in East Chicago, Indiana, as the “Lance Corporal Harold Gomez Post Office”.
- H.R. 1216 (102nd): Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Access and Enhancement Act
- H.R. 470 (102nd): To authorize the Secretary of Transportation to release the restrictions, requirements, and conditions imposed in connection with the conveyance of certain lands to the city of Gary, ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Visclosky sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Visclosky’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1488: Indiana Dunes National Park Act
- H.R. 6291 (114th): Indiana Dunes National Park Act
- H.R. 4887 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 2682 (114th): Fighting for American Jobs Act of 2015
- H.R. 2683 (114th): American Steel First Act of 2015
- H.R. 1899 (113th): Fighting for American Jobs Act of 2013
- H.R. 1817 (113th): American Steel First Act of 2013
|Visclosky’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 2: Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
Mar 26, 2015. Passed 392/37.
Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA), (H.R. 2, Pub.L. 114–10) commonly called the Permanent Doc Fix, is a law that establishes a new way to pay doctors who treat Medicare patients, revising the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. It reform is the ...
H.R. 33: Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act
Feb 27, 2015. Passed 357/60.
This bill was the vehicle for the passage of continuing appropriations. This bill started out as the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act. It was passed by the House in this form. But on Feb 27, 2015 the Senate struck its text in whole ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1985 to Jul 2017, Visclosky missed 393 of 20,031 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 106 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills