Read our 2016 Report Card for Welch.
Our unique analysis of the bills Welch has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Welch is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Peter Welch sits on the following committees:
Welch was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1865 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 35 Park Street in Danville, Vermont, as the “Thaddeus Stevens Post Office”.
- H.R. 1589 (113th): Small Farm Insurance Act of 2013
- H.R. 3606 (111th): Credit CARD Technical Corrections Act of 2009
- H.R. 6022 (110th): Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act of 2008
- H.R. 5473 (110th): Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act of 2008
- H.J.Res. 59 (110th): Granting the consent of Congress to the International Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding.
- H.R. 48 (110th): To redesignate the White Rocks National Recreation Area in the State of Vermont as the “Robert T. Stafford White Rocks National Recreation Area”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Welch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Welch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2889: Closing Loopholes for Orphan Drugs Act
- H.R. 2746: American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Act
- H.R. 1717: PATH Fairness Act of 2017
- H.R. 1642: Responsibly Paying Our Nation’s Bills Act
- H.R. 1591: WiFi Capable Mobile Devices Act of 2017
- H.R. 1526: Drone Aircraft Privacy and Transparency Act of 2017
- H.R. 1263: Protecting Allies from Visa Exclusion (PAVE) Act
|Welch’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.R. 3236: Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015
Jul 29, 2015. Passed 385/34.
The Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act (H.R. 3236) was passed in both both chambers by votes of 385–34 in the House and 91–4 in the Senate. It would authorize funds for federal-aid highway and public transportation programs and make funds available ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2017, Welch missed 189 of 7,984 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 15 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: