Welch is the representative for Vermont’s at-large district and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Welch is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Welch.
Welch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Welch has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Apr 12, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Peter Welch sits on the following committees:
Welch was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3851 (116th): Brand USA Extension Act
- H.R. 4579 (115th): Creating High-Quality Results and Outcomes Necessary to Improve Chronic (CHRONIC) Care Act of 2017
- H.R. 511 (115th): Power And Security Systems (PASS) Act
- H.R. 1865 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 35 Park Street in Danville, Vermont, as the “Thaddeus Stevens Post Office”.
- H.R. 1589 (113th): Small Farm Insurance Act of 2013
- H.R. 3606 (111th): Credit CARD Technical Corrections Act of 2009
- H.R. 6022 (110th): Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act of 2008
Does 9 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Welch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Welch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2267: To amend the Energy Policy and Conservation Act to provide Federal financial assistance ...
- H.R. 2181: To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to allow for the ...
- H.R. 2071: To amend part D of title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.R. 1864: To amend title 23, United States Code, with respect to funding the recreational ...
- H.R. 1673: To require the Federal Communications Commission to make the provision of Wi-Fi access ...
- H.R. 1672: To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to provide for the establishment of ...
- H.R. 1389: Invasive Species Prevention and Forest Restoration Act
From Jan 2007 to Apr 2021, Welch missed 227 of 9,927 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: