Welch is the representative for Vermont’s at-large district and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Welch is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Welch.
Welch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Welch has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Peter Welch sits on the following committees:
Welch was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4579: Creating High-Quality Results and Outcomes Necessary to Improve Chronic (CHRONIC) Care Act of 2017
- H.R. 511: Power And Security Systems (PASS) Act
- H.R. 1865 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 35 Park Street in Danville, Vermont, as the “Thaddeus Stevens Post Office”.
- H.R. 1589 (113th): Small Farm Insurance Act of 2013
- H.R. 3606 (111th): Credit CARD Technical Corrections Act of 2009
- H.R. 6022 (110th): Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act of 2008
- H.J.Res. 59 (110th): Granting the consent of Congress to the International Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Welch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Welch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6634: Natural Sugar Labeling Act
- H.R. 6538: Renewable Energy Certainty Act
- H.R. 6462: Border Zone Reasonableness Restoration Act of 2018
- H.R. 6274: Electric CARS Act of 2018
- H.Res. 945: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that high-performance buildings improve the ...
- H.R. 5667: Acer Access and Development Program Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 5519: Invasive Species Prevention and Forest Restoration Act
|Welch’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.R. 3236: Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015
Jul 29, 2015. Passed 385/34.
The Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act (H.R. 3236) was passed in both both chambers by votes of 385–34 in the House and 91–4 in the Senate. It would authorize funds for federal-aid highway and public transportation programs and make funds available ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From Jan 2007 to Sep 2018, Welch missed 200 of 8,774 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: