Welch is the representative for Vermont’s at-large district and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Welch is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Welch.
Welch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Welch has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Peter Welch sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
House Committee on Oversight and Reform
- Member, Subcommittee on National Security
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Member, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation
- Member, Subcommittee on Defense Intelligence and Warfighter Support
Welch was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4579: Creating High-Quality Results and Outcomes Necessary to Improve Chronic (CHRONIC) Care Act of 2017
- H.R. 511: Power And Security Systems (PASS) Act
- H.R. 1865 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 35 Park Street in Danville, Vermont, as the “Thaddeus Stevens Post Office”.
- H.R. 1589 (113th): Small Farm Insurance Act of 2013
- H.R. 3606 (111th): Credit CARD Technical Corrections Act of 2009
- H.R. 6022 (110th): Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act of 2008
- H.J.Res. 59 (110th): Granting the consent of Congress to the International Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Welch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Welch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3244: To amend the Plant Protection Act for purposes of mitigating the threat of ...
- H.R. 3079: Energy Savings Through Public-Private Partnerships Act of 2019
- H.R. 2735: Intelligence Budget Transparency Act of 2019
- H.Res. 352: Supporting the goals and ideals of Building Safety Month and the work of ...
- H.R. 2044: Smart Building Acceleration Act
- H.R. 2043: HOMES Act
- H.R. 2042: Electric CARS Act of 2019
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2019, Welch missed 212 of 9,197 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: