Hare was the representative for Illinois’s 17th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2007 to 2010.
Hare is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hare sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Hare was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 516 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2105 East Cook Street in Springfield, Illinois, as the “Colonel John H. Wilson, Jr. Post …
- H.R. 995 (110th): To amend Public Law 106-348 to extend the authorization for establishing a memorial in the District of Columbia or its environs to honor veterans who became disabled …
- H.R. 521 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2633 11th Street in Rock Island, Illinois, as the “Lane Evans Post Office Building”.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hare sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (21%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Education (16%) Labor and Employment (9%) Economics and Public Finance (7%) Social Welfare (7%) Transportation and Public Works (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Hare recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 6262 (111th): Jobs Through Procurement Act
- H.R. 6268 (111th): Wage Theft Prevention and Community Partnership Act
- H.Res. 1639 (111th): Recognizing the contributions of the National Waterways Conference on the occasion of …
- H.Res. 1366 (111th): Recognizing and honoring the freight railroad industry and its employees.
- H.R. 5270 (111th): Improving Access to Workers’ Compensation for Injured Federal Workers Act
- H.R. 5041 (111th): SEAM Act of 2010
- H.Res. 1089 (111th): Recognizing the 150th anniversary of Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2010, Hare missed 41 of 3,531 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills