English is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills English sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
English was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1594 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic in Hermitage, Pennsylvania, as the Michael A. Marzano Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic.
- H.R. 3549 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 210 West 3rd Avenue in Warren, Pennsylvania, as the “William F. Clinger, Jr. Post Office ...
- H.R. 5365 (108th): To treat certain arrangements maintained by the YMCA Retirement Fund as church plans for the purposes of certain provisions of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and ...
- H.R. 981 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 141 Erie Street in Linesville, Pennsylvania, as the “James R. Merry Post Office”.
- H.R. 4625 (106th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2108 East 38th Street in Erie, Pennsylvania, as the “Gertrude A. Barber Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
English sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (17%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (17%) Commerce (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Health (9%) Social Welfare (8%)
Some of English’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7145 (110th): People for the Planet Act of 2008
- H.R. 7044 (110th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a temporary ...
- H.Res. 1495 (110th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Assisted Living Week.
- H.R. 7014 (110th): NAFTA Modernization Trade Negotiating Authority Act
- H.Res. 1444 (110th): Expressing the Sense of the House of Representatives that the Susquehanna River ...
- H.R. 6730 (110th): Fort Presque Isle National Historic Site Act of 2008
- H.R. 6152 (110th): Family Relief and Economic Stimulus Act
|English’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 3246 (110th): Regional Economic and Infrastructure Development Act of 2007
Oct 4, 2007. Passed 264/154.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2008, English missed 226 of 9,048 roll call votes, which is 2.5%. This is on par with the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: