Ruppe was the representative for Michigan’s 11th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1967 to 1978.
Ruppe is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ruppe sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Ruppe was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 12603 (95th): A bill to amend the Great Lakes Pilotage Act of 1960 in order to relieve the restrictive qualification standards for U.S. registered pilots on the Great Lakes.
- H.R. 11760 (94th): A bill to amend section 502(a) of the Merchant Marine Act of 1936.
- H.R. 2724 (94th): An Act to provide for establishment of the Father Marquette National Memorial near Saint Ignace, Michigan, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6889 (94th): A bill to provide for establishment of the Father Marquette National Memorial near Saint Ignace, Mich.
- H.R. 5273 (94th): A bill to grant an alien child adopted by an unmarried U.S. citizen the same immigrant status as an alien child adopted by a U.S. citizen and ...
- H.R. 3903 (93rd): to direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain public land in the State of Michigan to the Wisconsin Michigan Power Company.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ruppe sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Ruppe’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 13968 (95th): Regional Development Act
- H.R. 13593 (95th): Longshoremen’s and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act Amendments
- H.R. 13280 (95th): Endangered Species Act Amendments
- H.R. 12882 (95th): A bill to amend the Tariff Schedules of the United States to ...
- H.R. 12603 (95th): A bill to amend the Great Lakes Pilotage Act of 1960 in ...
- H.R. 12531 (95th): A bill to amend the Great Lakes Fisheries Act of 1956 in ...
- H.R. 12530 (95th): A bill providing for the elimination of regional preferences relating to residual ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1978, Ruppe missed 1,073 of 5,461 roll call votes, which is 19.6%. This is much worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills