Burdick is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Burdick sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Burdick was the primary sponsor of 33 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2740 (101st): Water Resources Development Act of 1990
- S. 3176 (101st): National Environmental Education Act
- S. 3187 (101st): An original bill to address immediate problems affecting environmental cleanup activities.
- S. 1230 (101st): An Act to authorize the acquisition of additional lands for inclusion in the Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, and for other purposes.
- S.J.Res. 117 (101st): A joint resolution to designate the week of November 19, 1989 through November 25, 1989 and the week of November 18, 1990 through November 24, 1990, as ...
- S. 2835 (100th): An original bill to designate the United States Post Office and Courthouse located at 151 West Street in Rutland, Vermont, as the “Robert T. Stafford United States ...
- S. 1986 (100th): Plastic Pollution Control Act of 1987
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Burdick sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (33%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Water Resources Development (10%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Families (8%) Transportation and Public Works (6%)
Some of Burdick’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2902 (102nd): Desalinization Research and Development Act of 1992
- S. 2734 (102nd): Water Resources Development Act of 1992
- S. 2194 (102nd): A bill to assure a priority to Indian lands in the location ...
- S. 1204 (102nd): Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
- S.Res. 130 (102nd): A resolution authorizing the use of the Hart Building atrium for a ...
- S. 1083 (102nd): Act to Extend Public Law 100-582
- S. 729 (102nd): Small Community Environmental Infrastructure Assistance Act of 1990
From Aug 1960 to Aug 1992, Burdick missed 723 of 12,644 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is on par with the median of 4.7% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Aug 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills