Krishnamoorthi is the representative for Illinois’s 8th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Krishnamoorthi is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021.
Make sure you are registered to vote and that you vote by mail, early, or know your polling location — see vote.org for help.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Krishnamoorthi.
Krishnamoorthi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Krishnamoorthi has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 27, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Raja Krishnamoorthi sits on the following committees:
Krishnamoorthi was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1844: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 66 Grove Court in Elgin, Illinois, as the “Corporal Alex Martinez Memorial Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4574 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 108 West Schick Road in Bloomingdale, Illinois, as the “Bloomingdale Veterans Memorial Post Office Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Krishnamoorthi sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (26%) Health (19%) Education (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Taxation (5%) International Affairs (5%) Transportation and Public Works (5%)
Some of Krishnamoorthi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8542: To prohibit the use of Federal funds by the Department of Health and ...
- H.Res. 1170: Commemorating the life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
- H.R. 8402: To direct the Joint Committee on the Library to obtain a statue of ...
- H.R. 8343: Independent Advisory Committee Review of E-Cigarette Applications Act
- H.R. 7971: EVALUATE Act
- H.Res. 1076: Expressing the sense of Congress that the date of the 2020 United States ...
- H.R. 7706: National Emergency Student Vote Act
From Jan 2017 to Oct 2020, Krishnamoorthi missed 5 of 2,129 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: