Abraham was the representative for Louisiana’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2015 to 2020.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Abraham.
Abraham is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2020 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Abraham sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Abraham was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2941 (115th): Kisatchie National Forest Land Conveyance Act
- H.R. 5588 (114th): Veterans’ Compensation COLA Act of 2016
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Abraham sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Agriculture and Food (16%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Health (11%) Animals (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Social Welfare (11%) Taxation (11%)
Some of Abraham’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6921 (116th): Healthy Dog Importation Act
- H.Res. 620 (116th): In the Matter of Nancy Pelosi.
- H.Res. 522 (116th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the production of ...
- H.R. 1495 (116th): Income Verification Act
- H.R. 1238 (116th): To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to treat certain planted soybean crops ...
- H.R. 837 (116th): Chronic Wasting Disease Transmission in Cervidae Study Act
- H.R. 7147 (115th): To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to treat certain planted soybean crops ...
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2020, Abraham missed 397 of 3,489 roll call votes, which is 11.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2020. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: