Metcalfe was the representative for Illinois’s 1st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1971 to 1978.
Metcalfe is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Metcalfe sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Metcalfe was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1428 (95th): A bill for the relief of Mrs. Angelita Short.
- H.R. 1427 (95th): A bill for the relief of Marie Grant.
- H.R. 8471 (94th): A bill to authorize the President to prescribe regulations relating to the purchase, possession, consumption, use, and transportation of alcoholic beverages in the Canal Zone.
- H.R. 10792 (94th): A bill for the relief of Jana Hlavaty.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Metcalfe sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (25%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) International Affairs (12%) Housing and Community Development (11%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Law (8%) Private Legislation (8%)
Some of Metcalfe’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 1008 (95th): A resolution to recognize the heritage of black citizens of the United ...
- H.J.Res. 742 (95th): A resolution to recognize the heritage of black citizens of the United ...
- H.J.Res. 741 (95th): A resolution to recognize the heritage of black citizens of the United ...
- H.Res. 876 (95th): Resolution concerning the power of Congress to dispose of U.S. property and ...
- H.R. 9381 (95th): Federal Correctional Ombudsman Act
- H.R. 7568 (95th): Federal Correctional Ombudsman Act
- H.R. 7144 (95th): A bill to provide for a biennial General Accounting Office audit of ...
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1978, Metcalfe missed 1,109 of 4,492 roll call votes, which is 24.7%. This is much worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills