Paul is the junior senator from Kentucky and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 5, 2011. Paul is next up for reelection in 2022.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Paul.
Paul is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Paul has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 26, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Rand Paul sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Chair, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Member, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Member, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on State Department and USAID Management, International Operations, and Bilateral International Development
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Paul sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (23%) Crime and Law Enforcement (14%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Environmental Protection (13%) Immigration (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Paul’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2576: Infrastructure Spending Limit Act of 2019
- S.J.Res. 55: A joint resolution providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, ...
- S. 2538: National Patient Identifier Repeal Act of 2019
- S. 2343: Endangered Species Management Self-Determination Act
- S. 2183: Duplication Scoring Act of 2019
- S. 2091: Backlog Elimination, Legal Immigration, and Employment Visa Enhancement Act
- S. 2105: A bill to amend the Clean Air Act to clarify when a physical ...
From Jan 2011 to Sep 2019, Paul missed 101 of 2,557 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is much worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: