Hultgren was the representative for Illinois’s 14th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Hultgren.
Hultgren is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hultgren sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Hultgren was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4407 (115th): An act to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 3s101 Rockwell Street in Warrenville, Illinois, as the “Corporal Jeffrey Allen Williams Post ...
- H.R. 3110: Financial Stability Oversight Council Insurance Member Continuity Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hultgren sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (32%) Taxation (16%) International Affairs (14%) Health (11%) Energy (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) Transportation and Public Works (5%) Government Operations and Politics (5%)
Some of Hultgren’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1118 (115th): Supporting the goals and ideals of S.M.A.R.T. Parent Day, and inviting State ...
- H.R. 6319: Expanding Investment in Small Businesses Act
- H.R. 6257: Give Judge Venckiene Her Day in Court Act
- H.R. 6247: XXXXXXX Act of 2018
- H.R. 5907: NIMBLE Act
- H.R. 5749: Options Markets Stability Act
- H.Res. 750: Expressing support for the designation of a “Prisoners of Conscience Day”.
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2018, Hultgren missed 118 of 5,345 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: