Read our 2019 Report Card for Ruiz.
Ruiz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ruiz has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 11, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Raul Ruiz sits on the following committees:
Ruiz was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6282: Commission on America’s Medical Security Act
- H.R. 1839: Medicaid Services Investment and Accountability Act of 2019
- H.R. 5605: Advancing High Quality Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders in Medicare Act
- H.R. 1183: Wildfire Prevention Act of 2017
- H.R. 387 (114th): Economic Development Through Tribal Land Exchange Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ruiz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Ruiz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7849: To require the Secretary of Labor to carry out a pilot program to ...
- H.R. 7729: Banning Airport Redevelopment Act
- H.R. 7597: To direct the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress a report on ...
- H.R. 7600: To expand the scope of the Department of Veterans Affairs open burn pit ...
- H.R. 7599: To direct the Secretary of Defense to provide budget information for incinerators and ...
- H.R. 7598: To direct the Secretary of Defense to include information on exposure to open ...
- H.R. 7596: To direct the Secretary of Defense to provide medical providers of the Department ...
From Jan 2013 to Jul 2020, Ruiz missed 99 of 4,618 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: