Keller was the representative for Florida’s 8th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2001 to 2008.
Keller is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Keller sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Keller was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6138 (109th): Third Higher Education Extension Act of 2006
- H.R. 5603 (109th): Second Higher Education Extension Act of 2006
- H.R. 3169 (109th): Pell Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Keller sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (17%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Families (9%) Law (9%) Commerce (8%)
Some of Keller’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6167 (110th): Prevention and Deterrence of Crimes Against Children Act of 2008
- H.R. 4005 (110th): Capturing On-line Predators Act of 2007
- H.R. 3479 (110th): ADA Notification Act of 2007
- H.R. 3150 (110th): Anti-Gang Enforcement Act of 2007
- H.R. 1689 (110th): Curb Illegal Downloading on College Campuses Act of 2007
- H.R. 1615 (110th): Securing Aircraft Cockpits Against Lasers Act of 2007
- H.R. 1522 (110th): One-stop Student Financial Aid Information Act of 2007
From Jan 2001 to Dec 2008, Keller missed 212 of 5,307 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is on par with the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: