Baker was the representative for Louisiana’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1987 to 2008.
Baker is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Baker sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Baker was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6121 (109th): To amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to reauthorize a program relating to the Lake Pontchartrain Basin, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 804 (109th): To exclude from consideration as income certain payments under the national flood insurance program.
- H.R. 530 (108th): For the relief of Tanya Andrea Goudeau.
- H.R. 658 (108th): Accountant, Compliance, and Enforcement Staffing Act of 2003
- H.R. 2441 (107th): To amend the Public Health Service Act to redesignate a facility as the National Hansen’s Disease Programs Center, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3292 (106th): Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge Establishment Act
- H.R. 3337 (102nd): 1992 White House Commemorative Coin Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Baker sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Commerce (15%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (14%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Law (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Emergency Management (9%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Baker’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 933 (110th): Commending the Louisiana State University Tigers football team for winning the 2007 ...
- H.R. 4853 (110th): Veterans Self-Employment Act of 2007
- H.R. 4573 (110th): To suspend temporarily the duty on Ortho-Nitro-Phenol.
- H.R. 4572 (110th): To extend the suspension of duty on Prodiamine.
- H.R. 4365 (110th): To extend the suspension of duty on DEMBB.
- H.R. 4366 (110th): To extend the suspension of duty on Mesotrione.
- H.R. 4312 (110th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend certain benefits ...
From Jan 1987 to Jan 2008, Baker missed 693 of 12,283 roll call votes, which is 5.6%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills