Our unique analysis of the bills Blumenthal has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Blumenthal is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Read our 2015 Report Card for Blumenthal for more statistics.
Richard Blumenthal sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights
- Member, Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Blumenthal sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (23%) Health (20%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Taxation (15%) Commerce (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Education (6%)
Some of Blumenthal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3277: A bill to provide penalties for countries that systematically and unreasonably refuse or ...
- S. 3259: A bill to establish scientific standards and protocols across forensic disciplines, and for ...
- S.Con.Res. 48: A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the Italian Supreme Court ...
- S. 3108: Food Recovery Act of 2016
- S.Res. 498: A resolution designating June 15, 2016, as “World Elder Abuse Awareness Day”.
- S. 3042: Justice for Servicemembers Act of 2016
- S. 2961: Compassionate Care Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2011 to Jul 2016, Blumenthal missed 18 of 1,616 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: