Read our 2016 Report Card for Blumenthal.
Our unique analysis of the bills Blumenthal has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Blumenthal is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Richard Blumenthal sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on the Constitution
- Member, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights
- Member, Subcommittee on Border Security and Immigration
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Blumenthal was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1885 (114th): Veteran Housing Stability Act of 2015
- S. 2807 (113th): Death in Custody Reporting Act of 2013
- S. 1174 (113th): A bill to award a Congressional Gold Medal to the 65th Infantry Regiment, known as the Borinqueneers.
- S. 3456 (112th): Child Protection Act of 2012
- S. 1794 (112th): Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Blumenthal sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (22%) Crime and Law Enforcement (18%) Health (17%) Transportation and Public Works (13%) Taxation (13%) Commerce (6%) International Affairs (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Blumenthal’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1760: A bill for the relief of Marco Antonio Reyes.
- S. 1737: A bill to amend certain appropriations Acts to repeal the requirement directing the ...
- S. 1680: Food Recovery Act of 2017
- S. 1656: Medical Device Cybersecurity Act of 2017
- S. 1666: HOT CARS Act of 2017
- S. 1634: Used Car Safety Recall Repair Act
- S. 1626: Cabin Air Safety Act of 2017
|Blumenthal’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN372: Kevin Christopher Newsom, of Alabama, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit
Aug 1, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 66/31.
On the Nomination PN56: Rod J. Rosenstein, of Maryland, to be Deputy Attorney General
Apr 25, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 94/6.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1735: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 18, 2015. Bill Passed 71/25.
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 is a comprehensive defense spending bill. At almost 1,000 pages long it will direct funding for procurement, research, and operation of defense technology, establish military policy, and address other matters pertaining to national defense. It has ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 2642 (113th): Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2013
Feb 4, 2014. Conference Report Agreed to 68/32.
S.Res. 8 (112th): A resolution amending the Standing Rules of the Senate to provide for cloture to be invoked with ...
Jan 27, 2011. Resolution Rejected 12/84.
From Jan 2011 to Aug 2017, Blumenthal missed 19 of 1,832 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: