Sen. Richard Durbin
Senate Minority Whip
Senator from Illinois
|Dates||Title||State / District|
|Representative||Illinois's 20th District|
2014 Report CardRead our 2014 Report Card for Durbin »
Our unique analysis of the bills Durbin has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Durbin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Richard Durbin sits on the following committees:
- Joint Committee on the Library
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
- Member, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on the Constitution
- Member, Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Some of Durbin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 588: A bill to require the Consumer Product Safety Commission to establish a consumer ...
- S. 450: Tobacco Tax Equity Act of 2015
- S. 396: Proprietary Education Oversight Coordination Improvement Act
- S. 287: Safe Food Act of 2015
- S. 289: American Cures Act
- S. 198: Stop Corporate Inversions Act of 2015
- S.Res. 26: A resolution commending Pope Francis for his leadership in helping to secure the ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1997 to Mar 2015, Durbin missed 53 of 5,798 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills
Recent Legislative Activity
Cloture Motion Rejected 47/43
Sen. Durbin [D-IL]: NayMar 2, 2015 5:30 p.m.
Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Rejected 57/42
Sen. Durbin [D-IL]: NayFeb 27, 2015 11:29 a.m.
Bill Passed 68/31
Sen. Durbin [D-IL]: YeaFeb 27, 2015 11:10 a.m.
Amendment Agreed to 66/33
Sen. Durbin [D-IL]: YeaFeb 27, 2015 10:52 a.m.