Kelly was the representative for Florida’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1975 to 1980.
Kelly is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kelly sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 14, 1975 to Dec 13, 1980. See full analysis methodology.
Kelly sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (18%) International Affairs (18%) Agriculture and Food (18%) Private Legislation (12%) Taxation (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%)
Some of Kelly’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6262 (96th): A bill to amend title 17, United States Code, to authorize the ...
- H.R. 6222 (96th): A bill to prohibit the importation into the United States of certain ...
- H.R. 5364 (96th): A bill to provide a tax exemption for the sale of gasoline ...
- H.J.Res. 310 (96th): A joint resolution disapproving and invalidating regulations of the Department of Housing ...
- H.R. 1973 (96th): A bill to amend the Trade Act to reestablish government-to-government relations and ...
- H.R. 1972 (96th): A bill to amend the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 to reestablish ...
- H.R. 1859 (96th): A bill to amend the Trade Act to reestablish government-to-government relations and ...
From Jan 1975 to Dec 1980, Kelly missed 288 of 4,089 roll call votes, which is 7.0%. This is on par with the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills