Read our 2016 Report Card for Nolan.
Our unique analysis of the bills Nolan has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Nolan is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Richard Nolan sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Agriculture
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Nolan was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6014 (114th): To allow the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to enter into reimbursable agreements for certain airport projects.
- H.R. 316 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 14 3rd Avenue, NW, in Chisholm, Minnesota, as the “James L. Oberstar Memorial Post Office ...
- H.R. 3608 (113th): Grand Portage Band Per Capita Adjustment Act
- H.R. 4926 (113th): To designate a segment of Interstate Route 35 in the State of Minnesota as the “James L. Oberstar Memorial Highway”.
- H.R. 2650 (113th): Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Non-Intercourse Act of 2013
- H.R. 7147 (96th): A bill to provide that certain land of the United States shall be held by the United States in trust for certain communities of the Mdewakanton Sioux ...
- H.R. 14224 (95th): A bill to authorize and direct the Secretary of the Interior to acquire certain lands for the benefit of the Mille Lacs Band of the Minnesota Chippewa ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Nolan sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (27%) Transportation and Public Works (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (18%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%) Health (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Nolan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1789: No Government No Pay Act of 2017
- H.R. 1657: Workforce Training Enhancement Act of 2017
- H.R. 1350: To modify the boundary of Voyageurs National Park in the State of Minnesota, ...
- H.R. 1026: North Country National Scenic Trail Route Adjustment Act
- H.J.Res. 48: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the ...
- H.R. 683: American Pipeline Jobs and Safety Act of 2017
- H.Res. 913 (114th): Supporting a Federal, publically-funded universal school meal and nutrition program.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Nolan’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 4923 (113th): Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2015
Jul 10, 2014. Passed 253/170.
H.R. 1765 (113th): Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013
Apr 26, 2013. Passed 361/41.
From Jan 1975 to Apr 2017, Nolan missed 803 of 6,838 roll call votes, which is 11.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 15 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills