Read our 2016 Report Card for Bishop.
Our unique analysis of the bills Bishop has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bishop is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Rob Bishop sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on Armed Services
Bishop was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4680 (114th): National Park Service Centennial Act
- H.R. 356 (113th): Hill Creek Cultural Preservation and Energy Development Act
- H.R. 6060 (112th): Endangered Fish Recovery Programs Extension Act of 2012
- H.R. 765 (112th): Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act of 2011
- H.R. 3767 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 170 North Main Street in Smithfield, Utah, as the “W. Hazen Hillyard Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 604 (111th): Bountiful City Land Consolidation Act
- H.R. 511 (108th): Mount Naomi Wilderness Boundary Adjustment Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bishop sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Bishop’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3990: National Monument Creation and Protection Act
- H.R. 3744: Tribal Recognition Act of 2017
- H.R. 3400: Recreation Not Red-Tape Act
- H.R. 2620: Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act
- H.R. 1800: To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to transfer certain Federal land to facilitate ...
- H.Res. 131: Electing Members to certain standing committees of the House of Representatives.
- H.Res. 93: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Natural Resources in the ...
|Bishop’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4361: Federal Information Systems Safeguards Act of 2016
Jul 7, 2016. Passed 241/181.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From Jan 2003 to Oct 2017, Bishop missed 715 of 10,669 roll call votes, which is 6.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 1 explanation for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: