Davis was the representative for Michigan’s 11th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1979 to 1992.
Davis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Davis sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1987 to Oct 9, 1992. See full analysis methodology.
Davis was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3227 (102nd): Keweenaw National Historical Park Establishment Act
- H.R. 3679 (100th): Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians Act
- H.R. 4731 (99th): Recreational Boating Safety Act of 1986
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Davis sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (29%) Environmental Protection (21%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Private Legislation (5%)
Some of Davis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6212 (102nd): To eliminate foreign shipbuilding subsidy practices and to enhance the competitiveness of ...
- H.R. 5349 (102nd): National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Great Lakes Improvements Act
- H.R. 5351 (102nd): Great Lakes Regional Marine Center Act
- H.R. 5352 (102nd): Great Lakes Federal Effectiveness Act
- H.R. 5350 (102nd): Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Tissue Bank Act
- H.R. 5197 (102nd): To clear certain impediments to the licensing of a vessel for employment ...
- H.R. 4898 (102nd): To amend title II of the Social Security Act to permit the ...
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1992, Davis missed 571 of 6,654 roll call votes, which is 8.6%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills