Griffin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Griffin sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Griffin was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 385 (95th): A bill to name a certain Federal building in Grand Rapids, Mich., the “Gerald R. Ford Building.”
- S. 3843 (94th): A bill to name the Visitors’ Center at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore the “Phillip A. Hart Visitors’ Center.”
- S. 605 (94th): A bill for the relief of Heung Soon Kim.
- S. 3397 (93rd): A bill for the relief of Jose Ismarnardo Reyes-Morelos.
- S. 816 (93rd): An Act for the relief of Mrs. Jozefa Sokolowska Domanski.
- S.J.Res. 33 (93rd): A joint resolution to authorize and request the President to proclaim a moment and day of prayer and thanksgiving.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Griffin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Private Legislation (21%) Labor and Employment (14%) Taxation (11%) Law (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Transportation and Public Works (7%)
Some of Griffin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 578 (95th): A resolution waiving the Congressional Budget Act.
- S. 3249 (95th): A bill for the relief of Svetlana Herman and Janna Herman.
- S. 3171 (95th): A bill to amend the Tariff Schedules of the United States to ...
- S. 3014 (95th): A bill to amend titles 18 and 28 of the United States ...
- S. 3015 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to disregard, ...
- S. 2942 (95th): A bill for the relief of Hyong Cha Kim Kay.
- S.Res. 416 (95th): A resolution relating to disapproval of standards proposed to be prescribed by ...
From May 1966 to Oct 1978, Griffin missed 1,124 of 6,021 roll call votes, which is 18.7%. This is much worse than the median of 12.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills