Hurt was the representative for Virginia’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Hurt.
Hurt is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hurt sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Hurt sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hurt’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5424 (114th): Investment Advisers Modernization Act of 2016
- H.Res. 585 (114th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding an Interstate 73 ...
- H.R. 3434 (114th): Commonsense Permitting for Job Creation Act of 2015
- H.R. 3122 (114th): VALOR Act of 2015
- H.R. 2929 (114th): Supporting Home Owner Rights Enforcement Act
- H.R. 2354 (114th): Streamlining Excessive and Costly Regulations Review Act
- H.R. 1965 (114th): Small Company Disclosure Simplification Act
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2016, Hurt missed 108 of 4,135 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: