Our unique analysis of the bills Kasten sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kasten is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Kasten was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 329 (101st): An Act to designate the week of November 3, 1990, to November 10, 1990, as “National Week to Commemorate the Victims of the Famine in the Ukraine, ...
- S.J.Res. 227 (101st): A joint resolution to designate March 11, through March 17, 1990, as “Deaf Awareness Week”.
- S.J.Res. 137 (101st): A joint resolution designating January 7, 1990, through January 13, 1990, as “National Law Enforcement Training Week”.
- S.J.Res. 40 (100th): A joint resolution to give special recognition to the birth and achievements of Aldo Leopold.
- S. 2129 (99th): Risk Retention Amendments of 1986
- S.J.Res. 195 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 20, 1985, through October 26, 1985, as “National Temporary Services Week”.
- S. 1046 (98th): A bill to clarify the applicability of a provision of law regarding risk retention.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Kasten sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (34%) Agriculture and Food (16%) Environmental Protection (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) International Affairs (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Commerce (7%) Health (6%)
Some of Kasten’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3194 (102nd): A bill to amend provisions of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Improvement ...
- S. 3215 (102nd): Minority Enterprise Development Act of 1992
- S. 3199 (102nd): Financial Assistance for Compliance Act
- S.J.Res. 299 (102nd): A joint resolution to state the finding of Congress that the Amendment ...
- S. 2678 (102nd): A bill to provide assistance to communities to improve drug abuse resistance ...
- S. 2484 (102nd): National Triad Program Act
- S.J.Res. 262 (102nd): A joint resolution designating July 4, 1992, as “Buy American Day”.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1981 to Oct 1992, Kasten missed 90 of 4,355 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is better than the median of 4.7% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills