McClory, a Republican, was the representative for Illinois's 13th congressional district from 1973 to 1982.
He was previously the representative for Illinois's 12th congressional district (1963-1972).
McClory is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McClory sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
McClory was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 688 (97th): A bill for the relief of Junior Edmund Moncrieffe.
- H.R. 4032 (96th): A bill for the relief of Mahmud Ali Khan alias Fazal Dad.
- H.R. 7175 (96th): A bill for the relief of the Woodstock Daily Sentinel.
- H.J.Res. 670 (94th): Joint resolution to designate April 13, 1976, as Thomas Jefferson Day.
- H.R. 9236 (94th): Crime Control Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McClory sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (29%) Private Legislation (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Law (9%) Environmental Protection (9%) Economics and Public Finance (7%) Immigration (7%)
Some of McClory’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6792 (97th): A bill for the relief of Chilewich, Inc., and the Bluebird Corporation.
- H.R. 6727 (97th): A bill for the relief of Shu-Ah-tsai Wei, her husband, Yen Wei, ...
- H.R. 6497 (97th): Violent Crime and Drug Enforcement Improvements Act of 1982
- H.R. 5794 (97th): A bill to amend the Clayton Act to establish a right of ...
- H.R. 5529 (97th): Redistricting Standards Act of 1982
- H.J.Res. 397 (97th): A joint resolution designating February 7 through February 13, 1982 as “National ...
- H.R. 4868 (97th): International Joint Venture Act of 1981
From Jan 1963 to Dec 1982, McClory missed 769 of 8,174 roll call votes, which is 9.4%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills