Menendez is the senior senator from New Jersey and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 18, 2006. Menendez is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
He was previously the representative for New Jersey’s 13th congressional district as a Democrat from 1993 to 2006.
Menendez was investigated for unspecified misconduct in 2012. The Senate investigation was halted during his investigation and trial for corruption and bribery which resulted in a mistrial. In April 2018, the Senate Select Committee on Ethics admonished Senator Menendez for violating Senate rules and ordered him to repay any remaining outstanding value of impermissable gifts.
|Nov. 16, 2017||Senate Select Committee on Ethics reopened its investigation after Menendez's corruption and bribery case ended in a mistrial|
|Apr. 26, 2018||Senate Select Committee on Ethics admonished Senator Menendez for violating Senate rules and ordered him to repay any remaining outstanding value of impermissable gifts|
Read our 2019 Report Card for Menendez.
Menendez is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Menendez has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 19, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Menendez was the primary sponsor of 24 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2372: Save Our Seas 2.0: Enhanced Global Engagement to Combat Marine Debris Act
- S. 1102: Eastern Mediterranean Security and Energy Partnership Act of 2019
- S. 1267: National Museum of the American Latino Act
- S. 427: Autism CARES Act of 2019
- S. 3209 (115th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 413 Washington Avenue in Belleville, New Jersey, as the “Private Henry Svehla Post ...
- S. 3233 (115th): Nicaragua Human Rights and Anticorruption Act of 2018
- S. 3291 (115th): A bill to reauthorize the New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route, and for other purposes.
Does 24 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Menendez sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Menendez’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.J.Res. 82 (116th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of the proposed export to ...
- S. 5081 (116th): Big Oil Bailout Prevention Unlimited Liability Act of 2020
- S. 5080 (116th): Big Oil Bailout Prevention Trust Fund Act of 2020
- S. 5074 (116th): Robert Levinson Hostage Recovery and Hostage-Taking Accountability Act
- S.Res. 807 (116th): A resolution urging the Government of Uganda and all parties to respect ...
- S. 4997 (116th): Inter-American Development Bank General Capital Increase Act of 2020
- S.Res. 790: A resolution supporting efforts to strengthen protection, assistance, and solutions for Venezuelan women ...
From Jan 2006 to Jan 2021, Menendez missed 153 of 4,599 roll call votes, which is 3.3%. This is worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: