Read our 2016 Report Card for Scott.
Our unique analysis of the bills Scott has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Scott is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Robert “Bobby” Scott sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Education and the Workforce
Scott was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1447 (113th): Death in Custody Reporting Act of 2013
- H.R. 6412 (111th): Access to Criminal History Records for State Sentencing Commissions Act of 2010
- H.R. 5350 (110th): To authorize the Secretary of Commerce to sell or exchange certain National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration property located in Norfolk, Virginia, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5284 (106th): To designate the United States customhouse located at 101 East Main Street in Norfolk, Virginia, as the “Owen B. Pickett United States Customhouse”.
- H.R. 1513 (103rd): To designate the United States courthouse located at 10th and Main Streets in Richmond, Virginia, as the “Lewis F. Powell, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Scott sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Scott’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2650: To amend the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 and other laws ...
- H.R. 15: To provide for increases in the Federal minimum wage, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2583: To authorize the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to carry out a ...
- H.R. 2486: Equity and Inclusion Enforcement Act
- H.R. 2475: Rebuild America’s Schools Act of 2017
- H.R. 2435: Justice Safety Valve Act of 2017
- H.R. 1903: Robert C. Byrd Mine Safety Protection Act of 2017
|Scott’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5325 (112th): Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 6, 2012. Passed 255/165.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Passed 293/132.
H.R. 3080 (112th): United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Passed 278/151.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1993 to May 2017, Scott missed 255 of 16,245 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 6 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: