Read our 2017 Report Card for Scott.
Scott is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Scott has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Robert “Bobby” Scott sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Education and the Workforce
Scott was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1242: 400 Years of African-American History Commission Act
- H.R. 1447 (113th): Death in Custody Reporting Act of 2013
- H.R. 6412 (111th): Access to Criminal History Records for State Sentencing Commissions Act of 2010
- H.R. 5350 (110th): To authorize the Secretary of Commerce to sell or exchange certain National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration property located in Norfolk, Virginia, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5284 (106th): To designate the United States customhouse located at 101 East Main Street in Norfolk, Virginia, as the “Owen B. Pickett United States Customhouse”.
- H.R. 1513 (103rd): To designate the United States courthouse located at 10th and Main Streets in Richmond, Virginia, as the “Lewis F. Powell, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Scott sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Scott’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6823: Supporting Positive Outcomes After Release Act
- H.R. 6543: Aim Higher Act
- H.R. 6145: Fairness and Accuracy in Employment Background Checks Act of 2018
- H.R. 6080: Workers’ Freedom to Negotiate Act of 2018
- H.Res. 902: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the obligation of the ...
- H.R. 4548: WAGE Act
- H.R. 4420: Chesapeake Bay Farm Bill Enhancements Act of 2017
|Scott’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5325 (112th): Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 6, 2012. Passed 255/165.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Passed 293/132.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 263/171.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of economic stimulus relief during the 2008 financial crisis as well as other unrelated provisions. It was the Senate's October 2008 plan, and it became law. The bill contains sections for: * Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 ...
From Jan 1993 to Sep 2018, Scott missed 266 of 17,069 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: