Tiernan, a Democrat, was the representative for Rhode Island's 2nd congressional district from 1967 to 1974.
Tiernan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tiernan sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Tiernan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (18%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Social Welfare (13%) Taxation (12%) Energy (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Environmental Protection (9%) Labor and Employment (9%)
Some of Tiernan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 17252 (93rd): A bill to direct the National Bureau of Standards to prepare building ...
- H.R. 16807 (93rd): Internal Revenue Commission Act
- H.R. 16531 (93rd): A bill to amend the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 to provide ...
- H.R. 16517 (93rd): Internal Revenue Commission Act
- H.R. 16516 (93rd): Internal Revenue Commission Act
- H.R. 16490 (93rd): A bill to amend title 38 of the United States Code in ...
- H.R. 16449 (93rd): A bill to establish a fuel stamp program which will provide fuel ...
From Apr 1967 to Dec 1974, Tiernan missed 306 of 2,608 roll call votes, which is 11.7%. This is on par with the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills