Wexler was the representative for Florida’s 19th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2010.
Wexler is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Wexler sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Wexler was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 1722 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 601 Banyan Trail in Boca Raton, Florida, as the “Leonard W. Herman Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Wexler sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (19%) International Affairs (19%) Law (14%) Health (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Labor and Employment (8%)
Some of Wexler’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2742 (111th): To authorize the extension of nondiscriminatory treatment (normal trade relations treatment) to ...
- H.R. 2536 (111th): Emergency Nursing Supply Relief Act
- H.R. 1977 (111th): Drywall Safety Act of 2009
- H.R. 1863 (111th): Social Security Forever Act of 2009
- H.R. 1832 (111th): Medicare Prescription Drug Affordability Act of 2009
- H.Con.Res. 89 (111th): Supporting the goals and objectives of the Prague Conference on Holocaust Era ...
- H.Con.Res. 74 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of a decade of action for road ...
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2009, Wexler missed 712 of 8,699 roll call votes, which is 8.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2009. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: