Wilson was the representative for California’s 41st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1975 to 1980.
He was previously the representative for California’s 40th congressional district as a Republican from 1973 to 1974; the representative for California’s 36th congressional district as a Republican from 1963 to 1972; and the representative for California’s 30th congressional district as a Republican from 1953 to 1962.
Wilson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Wilson sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Wilson was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 949 (96th): A bill for the relief of Welita F. Sebastian.
- H.R. 948 (96th): A bill for the relief of Maria Corazon Samtoy.
- H.R. 946 (96th): A bill for the relief of Maria Estela Sims.
- H.R. 3268 (96th): Deep Seabed Hard Mineral Removal Tax Act of 1978
- H.R. 1450 (95th): A bill for the relief of Hildegard G. Blakeley.
- H.R. 1449 (95th): A bill for the relief of Geoffrey Parnham.
- H.R. 11149 (94th): A bill to amend section 2 of the act entitled “An act to incorporate the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.”
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Wilson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Wilson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8272 (96th): A bill to amend section 101(a)(15)(D) of the Immigration and Nationality Act ...
- H.R. 6784 (96th): A bill to direct the Secretary of the Navy to acquire a ...
- H.R. 6558 (96th): A bill to amend title 37, United States Code, to increase the ...
- H.R. 6155 (96th): A bill to amend title 10, United States Code, to increase the ...
- H.R. 6003 (96th): A bill for the relief of Eliazar Sandoval-Flores.
- H.R. 5107 (96th): A bill to establish the John J. Montgomery National Monument.
- H.R. 4984 (96th): A bill to authorize the President of the United States to present, ...
From Jan 1953 to Dec 1980, Wilson missed 1,477 of 8,271 roll call votes, which is 17.9%. This is much worse than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills