Read our 2017 Report Card for Wittman.
Wittman is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Wittman has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Robert Wittman sits on the following committees:
Wittman was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 984: Thomasina E. Jordan Indian Tribes of Virginia Federal Recognition Act of 2017
- H.R. 1206 (113th): Permanent Electronic Duck Stamp Act of 2013
- H.R. 3433 (111th): To amend the North American Wetlands Conservation Act to establish requirements regarding payment of the non-Federal share of the costs of wetlands conservation projects in Canada that ...
- H.R. 7031 (110th): To designate a portion of the Rappahannock River in the State of Virginia as the “John W. Warner Rapids”.
- H.R. 5489 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6892 Main Street in Gloucester, Virginia, as the “Congresswoman Jo Ann S. Davis Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Wittman sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (31%) Water Resources Development (12%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Taxation (9%) Health (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Wittman’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6660: National Fish Habitat Conservation Through Partnerships Act
- H.Res. 998: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United States Navy’s ...
- H.Res. 867: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that public servants should be ...
- H.R. 5465: No Budget, No Pay Act
- H.R. 4507: To require assurances that certain family planning service projects and programs will provide ...
- H.R. 2994: SHIPS Act
- H.R. 2929: Federal Employee Combat Zone Tax Parity Act
|Wittman’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Dec 2007 to Sep 2018, Wittman missed 90 of 7,614 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: