Blum was the representative for Iowa’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2015 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Blum.
Blum is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Blum sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Blum was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1074 (115th): To repeal the Act entitled “An Act to confer jurisdiction on the State of Iowa over offenses committed by or against Indians on the Sac and Fox …
- H.R. 4043 (115th): Whistleblower Protection Extension Act of 2017
- H.R. 4605 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 615 6th Avenue SE in Cedar Rapids, Iowa as the “Sgt. 1st Class Terryl L. …
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Blum sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Blum recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 6980 (115th): Breast Cancer Patient Equity Act
- H.R. 6446 (115th): White House Conference on Small Business Act of 2018
- H.R. 5144 (115th): Contracting Compliance Act
- H.Con.Res. 99 (115th): Expressing the sense of Congress on the occasion of the 100th anniversary …
- H.R. 4511 (115th): No Golden Parachutes for Public Service Act
- H.R. 4512 (115th): Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2017
- H.R. 4510 (115th): No Congressional Vehicle Leases Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2018, Blum missed 84 of 2,535 roll call votes, which is 3.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: