Marshall is the junior senator from Kansas and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2021. Marshall is next up for reelection in 2026 and serves until Jan 3, 2027.
He was previously the representative for Kansas’s 1st congressional district as a Republican from 2017 to 2020.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Marshall.
Marshall is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Marshall has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 16, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Roger Marshall sits on the following committees:
Marshall was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6067 (116th): SALE Act of 2020
- H.R. 859 (116th): To authorize the honorary appointment of Robert J. Dole to the grade of colonel in the regular Army.
- H.R. 2711 (115th): National Memorial to Fallen Educators Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Marshall sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (28%) Agriculture and Food (22%) Commerce (14%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Taxation (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%) International Affairs (6%)
Some of Marshall’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 268: A resolution expressing support for the designation of June 2021 as “National Dairy ...
- S.Res. 256: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding the need to conduct ...
- S. 1673: 30 × 30 Termination Act
- S. 1636: Save Local Business Act
- S. 1555: Get Americans Back To Work Act
- S.Res. 204: A resolution establishing a Select Committee on the Outbreak of the Coronavirus in ...
- S. 1508: A bill to provide for the use of emergency use authorization data and ...
From Jan 2021 to Jun 2021, Marshall missed 5 of 241 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: