Estes is the representative for Kansas’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Apr 25, 2017. Estes is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Estes.
Estes is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Estes has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 30, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ron Estes sits on the following committees:
Estes was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 3383 (115th): To designate the flood control project in Sedgwick County, Kansas, commonly known as the Wichita-Valley Center Flood Control Project, as the “M.S. ‘Mitch’ Mitchell Floodway”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Estes sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (21%) Taxation (21%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Water Resources Development (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Labor and Employment (11%) Economics and Public Finance (11%)
Some of Estes’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4197: Strengthening Social Security for Survivors Act
- H.R. 4085: Unclaimed Savings Bond Act of 2021
- H.R. 3303: Close the Double Subsidy Loophole for Electric Vehicles Act
- H.R. 3302: No Subsidies for Government Purchases of Electric Vehicles Act
- H.R. 2512: Chisholm National Historic Trail and Western National Historic Trail Designation Act
- H.R. 532: Protecting Individuals with Down Syndrome Act
- H.R. 8771 (116th): Chisholm National Historic Trail and Western National Historic Trail Designation Act
From Apr 2017 to Jul 2021, Estes missed 29 of 2,196 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: