Read our 2016 Report Card for Johnson.
Our unique analysis of the bills Johnson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Johnson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ron Johnson sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Europe and Regional Security Cooperation
- Member, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on the Budget
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Johnson was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2964 (114th): GAO Mandates Revision Act of 2016
- S. 1638 (114th): Department of Homeland Security Headquarters Consolidation Accountability Act of 2015
- S. 1180 (114th): Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Modernization Act of 2015
- S. 1826 (114th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 99 West 2nd Street in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, as the Lieutenant Colonel ...
- S. 2109 (114th): Directing Dollars to Disaster Relief Act of 2015
- S. 1629 (114th): District of Columbia Courts, Public Defender Service, and Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency Act of 2015
- S. 2375 (114th): Federal Asset Sale and Transfer Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Johnson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) International Affairs (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Emergency Management (12%) Health (10%) Taxation (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Immigration (5%)
Some of Johnson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 585: Dr. Chris Kirkpatrick Whistleblower Protection Act of 2017
- S. 582: Office of Special Counsel Reauthorization Act of 2017
- S. 576: Follow the Rules Act
- S.Res. 64: A resolution congratulating the Plastics Industry Association on its 80th anniversary.
- S.Res. 34: An original resolution authorizing expenditures by the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental ...
- S. 238: A bill to authorize the President to award the Medal of Honor to ...
- S.J.Res. 12: A joint resolution disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Defense, the ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Johnson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
S. 601 (113th): Water Resources Development Act of 2013
May 15, 2013. Bill Passed 83/14.
S.Res. 16 (113th): A resolution amending the Standing Rules of the Senate.
Jan 24, 2013. Resolution Agreed to 86/9.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Sep 8, 2011. Bill Passed 89/9.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 223 (112th): FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act
Feb 17, 2011. Bill Passed 87/8.
From Jan 2011 to Mar 2017, Johnson missed 36 of 1,741 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: