Shows was the representative for Mississippi’s 4th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1999 to 2002.
Shows is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Shows sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Shows sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Commerce (14%) Labor and Employment (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Energy (9%) Law (9%)
Some of Shows’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5541 (107th): Rejecting Social Security Privatization Act of 2002
- H.Res. 557 (107th): Expressing support for United States forestry, lumber, wood, paper, and allied product ...
- H.R. 5178 (107th): Fair Treatment of Compensation in Bankruptcy Act of 2002
- H.Con.Res. 434 (107th): Expressing the sense of the Congress regarding the economic collapse of WorldCom ...
- H.R. 4898 (107th): To amend the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act of 1981 to address ...
- H.R. 4897 (107th): To amend of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002 ...
- H.J.Res. 93 (107th): Federal Marriage amendment
From Jan 1999 to Nov 2002, Shows missed 90 of 2,210 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: