Bartlett was the representative for Maryland’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2012.
Bartlett is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bartlett sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Bartlett was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 42 (109th): Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005
- H.R. 5314 (106th): To require the immediate termination of the Department of Defense practice of euthanizing military working dogs at the end of their useful working life and to facilitate ...
- H.R. 348 (106th): To authorize the construction of a monument to honor those who have served the Nation’s civil defense and emergency management programs.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bartlett sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Energy (24%) Crime and Law Enforcement (19%) Taxation (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Sports and Recreation (10%) Housing and Community Development (10%)
Some of Bartlett’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 806 (112th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the recognition of ...
- H.Res. 762 (112th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding community-based civil defense ...
- H.R. 2252 (112th): Citizens’ Self-Defense Act of 2011
- H.R. 1910 (112th): To extend for one year the authority of certain members of the ...
- H.R. 1513 (112th): Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act of 2011
- H.R. 1323 (112th): Protect America from U.S. Military Expenses in Libya Act of 2011
- H.R. 1257 (112th): Protect America from U.S. Military Expenses in Libya Act of 2011
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Bartlett missed 134 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: