Bartlett, a Republican, was the representative for Maryland’s 6th congressional district from 1993 to 2012.
Bartlett is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bartlett sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Bartlett was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 42 (109th): Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005
- H.R. 5314 (106th): To require the immediate termination of the Department of Defense practice of euthanizing military working dogs at the end of their useful working life and to facilitate ...
- H.R. 348 (106th): To authorize the construction of a monument to honor those who have served the Nation’s civil defense and emergency management programs.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bartlett sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Energy (24%) Crime and Law Enforcement (19%) Families (10%) Taxation (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Sports and Recreation (10%)
Some of Bartlett’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 806 (112th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the recognition of ...
- H.Res. 762 (112th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding community-based civil defense ...
- H.R. 2252 (112th): Citizens’ Self-Defense Act of 2011
- H.R. 1910 (112th): To extend for one year the authority of certain members of the ...
- H.R. 1513 (112th): Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act of 2011
- H.R. 1323 (112th): Protect America from U.S. Military Expenses in Libya Act of 2011
- H.R. 1257 (112th): Protect America from U.S. Military Expenses in Libya Act of 2011
|Bartlett’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
S. 3325 (110th): Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008
Sep 28, 2008. Passed 381/41.
H.R. 3221 (110th): Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008
May 8, 2008. Passed 256/160.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 249 (110th): To restore the prohibition on the commercial sale and slaughter of wild free-roaming horses and burros.
Apr 26, 2007. Passed 277/137.
From Jan 1993 to Jan 2013, Bartlett missed 134 of 13,431 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: