Hartke is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hartke sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Hartke was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3131 (94th): Amtrak Improvement Act
- S. 969 (94th): An Act to amend title 38, United States Code, to set a termination date for veterans’ educational benefits under chapters 34 and 36, to increase vocational rehabilitation ...
- S. 2529 (94th): Veterans Housing Amendments Act
- S. 3119 (94th): Federal Railroad Safety Authorization Act
- S. 3409 (94th): A bill to amend the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 to authorize additional appropriations for the U.S. Railway Association.
- S. 2718 (94th): Rail Services Act
- S. 1462 (94th): Federal Railroad Safety Authorization Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hartke sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (28%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Social Welfare (14%) Labor and Employment (10%) Taxation (10%) Government Operations and Politics (7%) Education (6%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%)
Some of Hartke’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 568 (94th): A resolution relating to the redistribution of certain windfall corporate profits.
- S. 3860 (94th): A bill for the relief of Luella Hoffmann, wife of Victor F. ...
- S. 3719 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- S.Res. 502 (94th): A resolution of disapproval of budget authority for the National Railroad Passenger ...
- S. 3596 (94th): Veterans Disability Compensation and Survivor Benefits Act
- S. 3577 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- S. 3408 (94th): Surface Transportation Procedural Reform Act
From Jan 1959 to Oct 1976, Hartke missed 1,703 of 6,547 roll call votes, which is 26.0%. This is much worse than the median of 13.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills