Steiger, a Republican, was the representative for Arizona's 3rd congressional district from 1967 to 1976.
Steiger is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Steiger sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Steiger was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7978 (93rd): An Act to declare that certain federally owned lands shall be held by the United States in trust for the Hualapai Indian Tribe, of the Hualapai Reservation, ...
- H.R. 15469 (93rd): A bill to relinquish and disclaim any title to certain lands and to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain lands situated in Yuma County, ...
- H.R. 4414 (93rd): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to purchase property located within the San Carlos mineral strip.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Steiger sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Native Americans (29%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (24%) Private Legislation (13%) Labor and Employment (7%) Sports and Recreation (7%) Taxation (7%) Education (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%)
Some of Steiger’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 15151 (94th): A bill to amend the Endangered Species Act of 1973 to exempt ...
- H.R. 14529 (94th): A bill to amend the act of December 15, 1971, relating to ...
- H.R. 13217 (94th): A bill to provide for the conveyance of certain mineral rights in ...
- H.R. 12615 (94th): A bill for the relief of Juan Martinez Rodriguez.
- H.R. 11764 (94th): A bill to amend the Education Amendments of 1972 to provide that ...
- H.R. 11684 (94th): A bill to provide that William C. King may occupy certain land ...
- H.R. 11551 (94th): A bill for the relief of Juan Martinez Rodriguez.
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1976, Steiger missed 790 of 3,921 roll call votes, which is 20.1%. This is much worse than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills