Devine was the representative for Ohio’s 12th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1959 to 1980.
Devine is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Devine sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Devine was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 3317 (96th): An act to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect to excise tax refunds in the case of certain uses of tread rubber, and for ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Devine sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (25%) Law (19%) Taxation (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Energy (10%) Labor and Employment (7%) International Affairs (6%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (4%)
Some of Devine’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8165 (96th): A bill for the relief of (present and former) employees of the ...
- H.R. 8120 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- H.R. 7706 (96th): A bill to amend the Federal Claims Collection Act of 1966 to ...
- H.J.Res. 525 (96th): A joint resolution authorizing the President to impose on the Iranian Government ...
- H.R. 6654 (96th): A bill to further the objectives of national energy policy of conserving ...
- H.R. 6342 (96th): A bill to provide for the blocking of assets of any country ...
- H.R. 6200 (96th): A bill to amend the Safe Drinking Water Act.
From Jan 1959 to Dec 1980, Devine missed 629 of 7,782 roll call votes, which is 8.1%. This is on par with the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills