Ervin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ervin sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ervin was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- S. 754 (93rd): Speedy Trial Act
- S. 3418 (93rd): An Act to amend title 5, United States Code, by adding a section 552a, to safeguard individual privacy from the misuse of Federal records, to provide that ...
- S.J.Res. 66 (93rd): A joint resolution to authorize the erection of a monument to the dead of the 1st Infantry Division, U.S. Forces in Vietnam.
- S. 3684 (93rd): A bill to secure to the Congress additional time in which to consider the proposed amendments to the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure which the Chief of ...
- S. 2641 (93rd): An Act to confer jurisdiction upon the district court of the United States of certain civil actions brought by the Senate Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities, ...
- S. 2282 (93rd): A bill to change the name of the New Hope Dam and Lake, N.C., to the B. Everett Jordan Dam and Lake.
- S. 583 (93rd): An Act to promote the separation of constitutional powers by suspending the effectiveness of the Rules of Evidence for United States Courts and Magistrates, the amendments to ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ervin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Ervin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4252 (93rd): Criminal Justice Information Control and Protection of Private Act
- S. 4232 (93rd): Freedom from Military Surveillance Act
- S. 4227 (93rd): Watergate Reorganization and Reform Act
- S. 4095 (93rd): A bill to amend section 5(c) of the National Trails System Act ...
- S.J.Res. 240 (93rd): A joint resolution requiring full public access to all facts and the ...
- S. 4010 (93rd): Public Attorney Act
- S.Res. 389 (93rd): Resolution authorizing supplemental expenditures by the Committee on Government Operations.
From May 1954 to Dec 1974, Ervin missed 577 of 5,891 roll call votes, which is 9.8%. This is better than the median of 13.4% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills